Today is the first day of my mashup workout challenge. This week the line up is:
- Asylum 1: Vertical Plyo
- P90x3: The Challenge
- P90x3: MMX
- Insanity: Pure Cardio // 21 Day Fix: Pilates
- P90x3: Eccentric Upper // Yoga (stretch)
I’m pretty excited about this. I have not done MMX or Eccentric Upper yet so it’s going to be fun to try a new workout mixed in with ones I know and love and will hurt. Today was Vertical Plyo and it was good to get dumb with Shaun T again. I’m already feeling it a little in my upper back and core so yay! My big goal is to lose enough in the inch department that my clothes are beyond comfortable. I have not gone shopping since I finished Insanity last year in a new size and I’m ready for that to happen again so let’s work.
Something I thought about a lot today with regards to this goal was answering the question: What do I do when everything is going in the right direction with my weight? I wrote down 5 things that I really think I need to have as my daily checklist:
- Shakeology: Honestly…this is a HUGE key for me. When I have Shakeology in the morning for breakfast it sets my day up right because it hits my sweet tooth, fills me up, and reminds me of my goals. I’m gonna be 100% transparent here. I went through a time in my life where driving through Chic-Fil-A and picking up a milkshake for breakfast was something I did not regularly…but way to much. Other days I’d go through McDonalds and pick up a smoothie. I love cold shakes for breakfast, end of discussion. So Shakeology is my power tool because (1) it hits that spot with WAY less calories and healthy whole ingredients (2) it fixes my stomach issues (3) and it mentally puts me in the right spot to be healthy all day. It’s a lifestyle.
- Snacks: I need to BRING a morning and afternoon snack. And something filling. Egg salad w/ a whole grain cracker or rice. Oatmeal with fruit. Essentially a mini meal, not like a bag of grapes or a little bar. A good bar – a P90x or Protein Crunch bar – those work. But mostly, I need to eat mini meals.
- Salads: I don’t like eating salads daily but I have realized that when I have salads daily I am much better in general. I think this again goes to having something filling. Raw veggies fill me up and keep me from overeating. You really can’t overeat raw veggies. Really. And raw veggies are fantastic for health so it’s a win win.
- Water: this is my biggest struggle. BIGGEST. Because it’s not really fun or sexy or delicious. But when I am firing I’m drinking a gallon a day, end of discussion. Right now…there is absolutely no reason I shouldn’t be doing this but it’s so hard some days to even drink 30 ounces. No lie, in the middle of this I realized I had not had any water in hours and poured myself a glass. But water keeps me full and has so many amazing health benefits!
- Exercise: it’s not last because it’s least important. It’s last because it’s my anchor. Shakeology and Exercise bracket health for me. Anyway exercise for me is the cheapest therapy that I could probably ever find. No matter how I feel about my body when I wake up, when I do a workout I feel better. I feel strong. I feel like a fit beasterella and NOBODY can stop me. In addition after a fantastic workout I have a stronger pull towards eating healthy. After you push your butt through a stupid hard workout and realize it’s ONLY 500 calories burned…you don’t eat a package of 500 calorie cookies without having a second thought about it. It’s a mental anchor to help me realize the impact of the foods that I want to eat have on me and how I can erase a workout really quick if I don’t check myself.
That’s pretty long but I wanted to share. These 5 points are going to be my focus for the month. If these are the power points…I must hit them to reach my goals. I am going to track how I do to these daily and use them as a metric for improvement.
I know, I’ve been a terrible blogger this year. Life has taken some serious turns with work and now I work in Minnesota and live in the Twin Cities. Yep. No more Virginia/east coast and YAY to being back to the midwest. My soul feels so much better in the midwest..it’s my home.
The time here has been good so far BUT I have had a really hard time adjusting to the time zone change. Well I was doing ok then daylight savings time hit. And yes…it would seem that it should be easier to adjust to than it was…but it was not. I was pretty much exhausted for 2 weeks. And still adjusting to the new job (which I LOVE by the way. I haven’t loved a job like this since my first job out of college. Which is not a surprise since I went back to that same type of job for this job.) I got off my fit game because I was not sleeping well at all. And when I’m off my fit game, my eating gets meh. So after completing the 21 Day Fix and feeling pretty good body wise I feel like I kind of reverted back.
So. Today I have the kitchen grooving. I have artichokes in the oven roasting. I’m making a 21 Day Fix friendly spaghetti. About to make some stuffed peppers and some other meals. And it’s time to get back on the grind. I’m going to be 32 on Friday. And I am going to start the year the way I want it to go – strong and consistent and dedicated. I have not really found a groove since I found out I got this job in January to be honest. Actually I haven’t been in a groove since I had to switch contract jobs back in August to one I rather hated. I feel like I can say that now that I’m out of that industry…I hated my job. I hated the place I worked and I missed my prior assignment like crazy. That’s partially why I think I stopped blogging as much because I was so cloudy with that fact. That’s how I realized that lifestyle was just not for me anymore…the inability to control my career and to lose a position I loved off of nothing I did and with nothing I could do about it…yeah it pretty much made me about as sad/mad/annoyed and a few other words and I didn’t shake it for a long time. Probably not until last month. So yeah, with that said, I’ve been on and off. Mostly on but up and down and not making the progress I want. But I’m making a decision that tomorrow morning is going to be the start of being back to being 100% ON POINT again. It’s really time. I’m in a work happy place. I’m in a life happy place. And I’m settled as much as I can be.
So the plan?
1. 21 Day Fix nutrition. Kind of. I love the program. I really do. I felt in control and lost weight and looked pretty good at the end. BUT I just can’t eat as much meat as the program requires at my weight. I can’t. I feel sick and I feel like I have to pick between the meat and the veggies as both make me really full. I prefer a vegetarian lifestyle but even with that I don’t like eating a lot of fake meat. So…what I will do is focus on the produce first. Then when adding the protein I’m going to give myself some leeway. I will do mostly eggs, yogurt, and of course Shakeology for my servings a day. I am not going to beat myself up if I am short and this time I will choose the produce over the veggies if it comes down to making a selection and being stupid full. As I lose weight and my protein servings come down this won’t be an issue. I know this isn’t the program…but it’s my spin on it that I can keep up with long term.
2. April Workouts – Emily’s Schedule of Doom. So one of my Team Consistency girls Emily made a CRAZY schedule. It combines 21 Day Fix, Insanity, P90x3, Asylum 1 and Asylum 2. I’m pretty psyched about it because it will mix a lot of fun workouts and get me back on a schedule again since right now I’m kind of between calendars. It’s going to be hard and that’s good. I thrive on that shit for real. I don’t like easy workouts, I like to be beat down. My back up workout (in case I over sleep which lately is like a daily thing) is the gym at work. To be honest I might for a while do both. Just because I tried the lunch gym thing last week and I LOVE getting away from my desk in the middle of the day and moving my body. I tend to get tired in the afternoons when I do a lot of desk work so this was a GREAT way to stay energized and one I really love. Even if I just go walk on the treadmill for 15 minutes…it’s a really nice break. So yeah….doubles some days?
That’s the plan. It’s not a complicated plan but it is a better one than I’ve had in a while so yay! I’m determined to reach my goal weight this year and that means I have to stop living in the fog and start really focusing on my goals.
I signed up for my first DietBet this year. DietBet is a site where basically you put your money where your commitment is for either 4 or 10 percent weight loss in a time set by the bet creator. This one is a 4% challenge for January with a $30 buy in. Big challenge for me but coming off a holiday break due to sickness I figured it was a good time to try, especially since I was starting P90x3 and expected good results.
I gotta tell you – these things ROCK. See if you make your goal, you get a piece of the pot. So say half the people make it and the other half don’t. Then all the winners split the pot. Losers get nada. That’s some serious motivation because the one I joined is MASSIVE – pot is over $132K!!! And I definitely do NOT want to lose my $30 and I definitely DO want to win more.
Hello new clothes!
And that’s where peppermints come in lol. Seriously – they are keeping me from indulging lately. I know it’s not the same, but I think about winning all the money and have a peppermint and walk away from things like “dessert day” (seriously – we had one last week) at work. Oh and banana cherry faux cream – frozen cherries and bananas blended to a cream and topped with cinnamon and shredded coconut. Yummy!!
So my motivation is all time high right now. I am really glad P90x3 is turning out to be all I hoped it would be and more. I lost 3 lbs week 1 and am very much in love with this one. More cardio than P90x but just as intense. I’m on day 7, stretch and rest day, and excited to move on to week 2!!
I’m still vlogging my P90x3 journey over on YouTube daily so check it out for my program chats/reviews!
Yep…that’s right…I’m going to VLOG my journey this year. For one – I think it will be fun to vlog how I get through P90x3 and my results. For two – I think it will make me accountable as heck. You say the camera adds 10 lbs…well I guess that means I better lose at least that much 🙂
I was trying to think of a catch name for my little webseries but between the cold medicine and the cold I can only think of It’s Kim. So it’s nameless, ha. But I’ll post the vlogs over here so you can check them out if you care.
Day 1 highlights: video progress dance, P90x3 workout number 1 talk, and my plan to win my share of $80k this month. Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__ay75ZoCI4
I can barely believe it… but the year is almost over. This year has been a challenge, a breeze, and a whole lot of living. Lots of friends getting married, a new job, and I learned so much about myself, how I operate, and how I think. It’s been a year of accepting that my new lifestyle is health and fitness and learning to live as that Kim. But most importantly…I had a lot of fun 🙂
I am hoping 2014 will be even BETTER. I have a lot of things in the works to help my life change and be better. Planning on going to Las Vegas for my first Team Beachbody Coach Summit. Planning on pushing myself and get to my goal weight this year. Working on really being the best me I can be.
And all of this starts tomorrow, right with the start of the year. Tomorrow morning I’m going to get up bright and early and start my new fitness program. I’ve been sick for about a week now so it’s going to be interesting as I haven’t worked out since Christmas Eve. But I’m ready to get back into it even though I’m still not 100%. I’m mostly there though and can finally get through a day without a ton of cold meds, so I’m declaring myself WELL.
If you want to join me for this new program – check it out hereor any other challenge pack this year then let me know if you want to join a group for this year!
Lastly – a little rewind for the year 🙂
I am now officially into the 3rd week of Asylum – day 18 is tomorrow. I am SO freaking in love with this program it’s not even funny. The blend of strength and cardio is really right up my ally. Considering Asylum vol 2 is pretty inexpensive (because it’s just the dvds and not all the equipment over again) it’s a done deal that I have that program in mind. I actually have my programs mapped out from now until SUMMIT. Yes, I already bought my ticket and am going to be in Vegas next year (omg can I tell you I just typed Vegans, lol) for my first Beachbody business convention and my first trip to Vegas. I’m pumped.
Anyway I digress and I will share my exact breakdown soon! Back to Asylum vol 1 I want to dispel some myths. For starters the cardio is VERY different from Insanity. I know this is considered an Insanity graduate program, but it’s very different because of the introduction of the ladder. That damned ladder is a PUNISHER. There is a lot of jumping in this program and things like power jumps are now incorporated with other moves/bands so you have to have endurance and ability to do the move. But other than seeing some of the same moves, the format doesn’t follow the HIIT style that he perfected in Insanity of 3ish min on/30 sec off, so it feels very different. Lastly, Asylum is a strength program more than a cardio program. This starts to put some serious lean muscle on your body. Great shift if you have used mostly cardio to lose weight like I have.
One thing I have been focusing on with Asylum is getting my diet back on the consistency train. I had fallen off the tracks and was bumping up and down. I have been eating mostly vegetarian. Actually a lot of raw vegan to be honest. I don’t classify myself as either – I like to eat what tastes good and is healthy but my body definitely prefers a lower fat/higher carb situation when those carbs come from produce mostly and grains secondly. I’m not saying this is what you should eat. I’m saying that through trial and error I am finding that I feel really amazing eating a mostly vegan diet. When I am not eating vegan I am finding fish and eggs to be the animal proteins that my body is happiest with. I do think everyone is a little different with their happy place and we should take time to experiment and see what works and I am happy to help you start those trials if you would like! Anyway – I am being really great with my diet lately. Eating clean and eating a lot of organic produce. Since I started the program I am down 4lbs and I feel really energized again. I also noticed that once I started eating more raw foods guess what? My sleep is MUCH better. Score and score.
I’m going to end here because it’s bedtime for me but I do have more I want to share with you about everything going on. I have been SO busy the last few weeks but I’m going to definitely make time to share all this stuff! I have a challenge or two starting soon, Asylum, the man’s new program, and my P90x3 start date!!!