After another week of being on the fix I think I have decided I’m officially done with it. It’s a great program but it’s really just NOT for me as I just don’t feel as good on the meal plan. The workouts are amazing and I love love them. But the meal plan isn’t working for me as far as how I feel. And since I decided when I started beachbody I would absolutely stop dieting for the sake of dieting I think I need to remember that. My internet soul sister Kehau and I were on Voxer today and she talked about how she felt like it wasn’t aligned with her mind and that clicked SO much with me. Then tonight I watched a video from Fully Raw Kristina about why she went vegetarian. That video REALLY clicked with me. She talks about how she started eating meat after a stint vegetarian because she felt she had to for society and because it was what everyone said she should do. That REALLY hit home with me because I have been mentally struggling with that exact issue.
I felt amazing eating mostly vegan and eating more carbs and I know that I can find a way to reach my goals with that diet because I know many people with that diet who look like freaking rockstars. It’s funny because when I think about the 30 day push (goal setting program) the idea is to live a life with goals in line with your priorities. So why am I choosing to continue to pursue a goal with a meal plan that is NOT aligning with me???? Pressure to try it because it’s essentially the diet every nutritionist has given me. Pressure because I’m ready to be at my goal weight NOW and feel like I am a pseudo fail because I’m still not there yet. Pressure to fit in and not have to have accommodations for my food tastes. Aside from the pressure I’m realizing that my food tastes are starting to change in not a good way. Fresh produce doesn’t have the pop it had before and that makes me sad.
So I declare that today. Well I guess tomorrow since I ate dinner a bit ago and am done for the day…I am going back to eating what makes me feel good and energetic. Lots of fruit. Some vegetables. Lots of RAW produce. Dinners of plant based foods. Delicious foods that feed my soul and keep me balanced mentally unlike how I feel right now. I also am thinking about getting the Ultimate Reset and starting with Kehau on the 30th of April. I have done this program twice before and it is truly a life changing experience. After all this back and forth I think I might do it to just reset mentally. I’m going to decide probably in the next week or two on purchasing it!
Today is the first day of my mashup workout challenge. This week the line up is:
- Asylum 1: Vertical Plyo
- P90x3: The Challenge
- P90x3: MMX
- Insanity: Pure Cardio // 21 Day Fix: Pilates
- P90x3: Eccentric Upper // Yoga (stretch)
I’m pretty excited about this. I have not done MMX or Eccentric Upper yet so it’s going to be fun to try a new workout mixed in with ones I know and love and will hurt. Today was Vertical Plyo and it was good to get dumb with Shaun T again. I’m already feeling it a little in my upper back and core so yay! My big goal is to lose enough in the inch department that my clothes are beyond comfortable. I have not gone shopping since I finished Insanity last year in a new size and I’m ready for that to happen again so let’s work.
Something I thought about a lot today with regards to this goal was answering the question: What do I do when everything is going in the right direction with my weight? I wrote down 5 things that I really think I need to have as my daily checklist:
- Shakeology: Honestly…this is a HUGE key for me. When I have Shakeology in the morning for breakfast it sets my day up right because it hits my sweet tooth, fills me up, and reminds me of my goals. I’m gonna be 100% transparent here. I went through a time in my life where driving through Chic-Fil-A and picking up a milkshake for breakfast was something I did not regularly…but way to much. Other days I’d go through McDonalds and pick up a smoothie. I love cold shakes for breakfast, end of discussion. So Shakeology is my power tool because (1) it hits that spot with WAY less calories and healthy whole ingredients (2) it fixes my stomach issues (3) and it mentally puts me in the right spot to be healthy all day. It’s a lifestyle.
- Snacks: I need to BRING a morning and afternoon snack. And something filling. Egg salad w/ a whole grain cracker or rice. Oatmeal with fruit. Essentially a mini meal, not like a bag of grapes or a little bar. A good bar – a P90x or Protein Crunch bar – those work. But mostly, I need to eat mini meals.
- Salads: I don’t like eating salads daily but I have realized that when I have salads daily I am much better in general. I think this again goes to having something filling. Raw veggies fill me up and keep me from overeating. You really can’t overeat raw veggies. Really. And raw veggies are fantastic for health so it’s a win win.
- Water: this is my biggest struggle. BIGGEST. Because it’s not really fun or sexy or delicious. But when I am firing I’m drinking a gallon a day, end of discussion. Right now…there is absolutely no reason I shouldn’t be doing this but it’s so hard some days to even drink 30 ounces. No lie, in the middle of this I realized I had not had any water in hours and poured myself a glass. But water keeps me full and has so many amazing health benefits!
- Exercise: it’s not last because it’s least important. It’s last because it’s my anchor. Shakeology and Exercise bracket health for me. Anyway exercise for me is the cheapest therapy that I could probably ever find. No matter how I feel about my body when I wake up, when I do a workout I feel better. I feel strong. I feel like a fit beasterella and NOBODY can stop me. In addition after a fantastic workout I have a stronger pull towards eating healthy. After you push your butt through a stupid hard workout and realize it’s ONLY 500 calories burned…you don’t eat a package of 500 calorie cookies without having a second thought about it. It’s a mental anchor to help me realize the impact of the foods that I want to eat have on me and how I can erase a workout really quick if I don’t check myself.
That’s pretty long but I wanted to share. These 5 points are going to be my focus for the month. If these are the power points…I must hit them to reach my goals. I am going to track how I do to these daily and use them as a metric for improvement.
I know, I’ve been a terrible blogger this year. Life has taken some serious turns with work and now I work in Minnesota and live in the Twin Cities. Yep. No more Virginia/east coast and YAY to being back to the midwest. My soul feels so much better in the midwest..it’s my home.
The time here has been good so far BUT I have had a really hard time adjusting to the time zone change. Well I was doing ok then daylight savings time hit. And yes…it would seem that it should be easier to adjust to than it was…but it was not. I was pretty much exhausted for 2 weeks. And still adjusting to the new job (which I LOVE by the way. I haven’t loved a job like this since my first job out of college. Which is not a surprise since I went back to that same type of job for this job.) I got off my fit game because I was not sleeping well at all. And when I’m off my fit game, my eating gets meh. So after completing the 21 Day Fix and feeling pretty good body wise I feel like I kind of reverted back.
So. Today I have the kitchen grooving. I have artichokes in the oven roasting. I’m making a 21 Day Fix friendly spaghetti. About to make some stuffed peppers and some other meals. And it’s time to get back on the grind. I’m going to be 32 on Friday. And I am going to start the year the way I want it to go – strong and consistent and dedicated. I have not really found a groove since I found out I got this job in January to be honest. Actually I haven’t been in a groove since I had to switch contract jobs back in August to one I rather hated. I feel like I can say that now that I’m out of that industry…I hated my job. I hated the place I worked and I missed my prior assignment like crazy. That’s partially why I think I stopped blogging as much because I was so cloudy with that fact. That’s how I realized that lifestyle was just not for me anymore…the inability to control my career and to lose a position I loved off of nothing I did and with nothing I could do about it…yeah it pretty much made me about as sad/mad/annoyed and a few other words and I didn’t shake it for a long time. Probably not until last month. So yeah, with that said, I’ve been on and off. Mostly on but up and down and not making the progress I want. But I’m making a decision that tomorrow morning is going to be the start of being back to being 100% ON POINT again. It’s really time. I’m in a work happy place. I’m in a life happy place. And I’m settled as much as I can be.
So the plan?
1. 21 Day Fix nutrition. Kind of. I love the program. I really do. I felt in control and lost weight and looked pretty good at the end. BUT I just can’t eat as much meat as the program requires at my weight. I can’t. I feel sick and I feel like I have to pick between the meat and the veggies as both make me really full. I prefer a vegetarian lifestyle but even with that I don’t like eating a lot of fake meat. So…what I will do is focus on the produce first. Then when adding the protein I’m going to give myself some leeway. I will do mostly eggs, yogurt, and of course Shakeology for my servings a day. I am not going to beat myself up if I am short and this time I will choose the produce over the veggies if it comes down to making a selection and being stupid full. As I lose weight and my protein servings come down this won’t be an issue. I know this isn’t the program…but it’s my spin on it that I can keep up with long term.
2. April Workouts – Emily’s Schedule of Doom. So one of my Team Consistency girls Emily made a CRAZY schedule. It combines 21 Day Fix, Insanity, P90x3, Asylum 1 and Asylum 2. I’m pretty psyched about it because it will mix a lot of fun workouts and get me back on a schedule again since right now I’m kind of between calendars. It’s going to be hard and that’s good. I thrive on that shit for real. I don’t like easy workouts, I like to be beat down. My back up workout (in case I over sleep which lately is like a daily thing) is the gym at work. To be honest I might for a while do both. Just because I tried the lunch gym thing last week and I LOVE getting away from my desk in the middle of the day and moving my body. I tend to get tired in the afternoons when I do a lot of desk work so this was a GREAT way to stay energized and one I really love. Even if I just go walk on the treadmill for 15 minutes…it’s a really nice break. So yeah….doubles some days?
That’s the plan. It’s not a complicated plan but it is a better one than I’ve had in a while so yay! I’m determined to reach my goal weight this year and that means I have to stop living in the fog and start really focusing on my goals.