Finally through the packing and into the unpacking phase of moving. How we got so much stuff….I can’t figure out. I have been throwing a lot of stuff away though….new start clean start kind of thing. That’s why posting is a little slow lately…I just haven’t been really doing much except trying to stay on track, exercise when I can (and where…box jumping is today’s activity, lol), and trying to get this new apartment livable.
So today, I thought I’d share some of my favorite fitness/health links. Please share some of your favorites in the comments too, I’m always looking for more good resources.
Michi’s Ladder – very good resource if you are trying to start eating clean. It works pretty easy. Figure out what tier your foods are in and try to swap out a tier 1 or 2 item for your tier 3-5 items. It’s not a diet – it is a clean up your eating plan.
Daily Hiit – used to be BodyRock. I started with this and UFC Trainer on XBOX in January 2011 at 300 lbs. No, I couldn’t do everything and yes, there are probably better workouts to start off with that would have given me faster results because I was so big and out of shape there was so much I couldn’t do. But I was SO pumped up and motivated after finding out about BodyRock and so wanting to start that I just jumped in and did what I could do. This is what happens when you just wake up and decide to go forth and do something on a whim. Anyway, long story short – I owe a lot to this program because it got me moving and starting the weight loss process. A lot of the early posts on this blog are breakouts of my BodyRock workouts.
Fleur Meets Fitness – This blog has served as many a motivating moment for me. Fleur is a Australian girl who lost a ton of weight in a very short amount of time. It’s motivating for me because it’s a story of what you can do if you really put your money where your mouth is. You can do pretty much whatever you want to do if you decide it’s your #1 priority.
Truly.Into.Fitness – I just like reading about the lives of people that change their weight. And apparently aren’t from the US, lol! Jess is French Canadian and is living the dream – lost the weight and became a personal trainer. Motivation in leaps and bounds.
Team Beachbody – Great resource if you are doing a Beachbody program for sure. Also if you just want recipes and a fitness community. I use the message boards a lot, especially to research a program. I spent a TON of time on the message board before deciding finally to take the Ultimate Reset and I still check the forum a lot.
Don’t forget this month’s deals:
1. P90x and Ultimate Reset deals end on March 31st. Don’t miss these awesome deals if you want these programs!
2. Shakeology greenberry and chocolate (non-vegan version) go up in price by $10 a month as of April 1st. Order on HD this month to lock in the price for life.
3. Challenge pack or Shakeology HD orders this month get a free Shakeology shaker cup! 🙂
It’s the Monday after the holiday and as we all head back to work it’s evaluation time for Thanksgiving health and fitness goals:
For me, I was 100% on exercise. I sometimes had to workout late (10pm start = ouch) but I stayed on track and pushed hard.
For food I was maybe 80%. I did eat tons of veggies and my healthier options. But I also had too much mac and cheese (ironically not even on Thanksgiving – but Friday night. the man makes it 2x a year and I just went a little overboard), too many meals out (spent all day in the city on Wednesday, out shopping Friday, out for the game Saturday) and too much meat (I had meat 2x a day for 3 days in a row – big big change for me). I also skipped shakeology one morning, which is a disaster for me. Seriously. I don’t know why I do that…every time I do I really struggle with cravings all day. Lesson learned, I haven’t skipped again.
So now it’s Monday. The family members have all gone home (one with a ton of mac and cheese left overs), the football games have been played and my gym is now my gym again instead of the spare bedroom. So how do we get back laser focus after a holiday like Thanksgiving that is very much a food and sit on your butt kind of weekend? Four super easy steps, that’s how:
- Water. Like you are crossing Death Valley folks. Guzzle a gallon today. Why? A few reasons. One being if you drank a little more than normal (which is kind of typical during the holidays, especially when surrounded by family, eh?) then it’s time to rehydrate. Two being you probably didn’t drink enough over the holidays (I didn’t – I struggle at home anyway, and when I’m crazy busy cooking and entertaining it’s easy to forget to guzzle). Three being it will help you stay full while you bring your food intake back to normal levels (something has to replace that mac and cheese!). Four being – it’s just healthy for you and you should drink a lot of water anyway for life. Pick your number, ponder it over a glass of water. No flavoring of the water with anything in a packet either. Fresh fruit and/or veggies (like cucumbers) if you need a break from plain water.
- Eat Clean. Alright, it’s time to be a little strict on yourself this week. Check out Michi’s Ladder and stick to the top 2 tiers. Personally, I don’t do non-fat cheese, I stick to regular cheese, that’s my only mod. But I don’t have much or have it often. I also will be really focusing on building mainly vegetarian or vegan meals home and on the road this week. Lots of veggies and lots of fruit too. If it comes in a bag or box and isn’t onion, oranges, grapefruits…you get the drift – leave it alone.
- Train Mean. Whether you stayed on your exercise plan or not – today is the day to move. Doesn’t matter what you do, just sweat it out. I am still doing INSANITY and got my workout in today as I did through the holiday. Go move. Now. I’ll be here when you finish 🙂
- Sleep. Yes, you heard right. Sleep. I was so off schedule this week staying up late to hang out with family and waking up early to cook or watch football. I’m going to definitely focus again on my 7-9 hours of sleep a night like I usually get. Sleep is important for health, lots of studies talk about how people who don’t get enough sleep are more likely to have health problems and be obese. Combat that by hitting the pillow on time tonight. Figure out what time you need to wake up and try to be in bed 7-9 hours before that.
Something else to start thinking about this week – what are you going to do to keep it solid through the holiday calendar that officially kicked off last Thursday? For me, it’s INSANITY obviously. It is a 63 day program and will take me all the way through new years day so it is perfect for right now. What’s yours? I realize now how big a fan of laying out your workout plan for a long chunk of time, then working that plan. Beachbody programs
(all of them), Jillian Michaels Body Revolution
, and I’m sure tons of other programs, these are just the ones I’m really familiar with. If you can’t afford a DVD program or simply don’t want to spend the money on one – totally ok, you can DIY this. Sit down RIGHT now and plan out a program in whatever your exercise of choice is on a calendar. Then do it. Even if it’s Dance Central for exercise – print off a calendar for now through January 1st and write down every single day you will workout. Then daily cross it off. This is powerful – it’s the contract with yourself to stay on track and move.
Do the same for food. Time to think about your diet too. There are tons of options. Beachbody and JM programs have food books with them to help guide you. There are other in person options like Weight Watchers
. You can also take the opportunity right now to start the Ultimate Reset
, which you guys all know I think is just the best thing ever and totally changed me and my hubby. If you are not feeling me – add one good thing as you take away a bad thing. Example? No more McDonalds for breakfast – have something from home. One simple change that will go a long way. Do that every week an you will be on your way. There is a nice chunk of time to do it right now and especially if exercise isn’t your thing – this is the best way to get started on health. In general – diet > exercise for weight loss. You can’t exercise out a bad diet – but you can have a great diet with no exercise and be crazy healthy. So don’t just focus on exercise – focus on your diet while exercising.